Tuesday, October 10, 2017

McBRAAM Stage 11: Tucumcari, NM to Dalhart, TX..."Deep in Dalhart of Texas!"

1,173.8 miles ridden.
48,984 feet climbed.

If you're wondering about pictures, or rather the lack of them, there's a reason. I had a hard time loading Google Maps onto Pop's flip phone (sarcasm), so I've sacrificed my smart phone to serve as Pops navigation device as well as locator application. So my phone is in the van all day, while we have Lance's phone.

Flat tire scoreboard has Les 5 and Lance 3. Low score wins. I have some tacks in a secret place reserved for the end of the ride if I need them.

OK, so this was the longest, straightest road I've ever ridden. Good thing for the constant gentle rollers that kept us from seeing down the road too far, it might have been hypnotic.

We entered Texas today, and from Tucumcari to Dalhart, the scenery changed radically. We started out still seeing mesas, buttes and desert scrub. By the time we got close to Dalhart, it was all about burger farms...I mean cattle ranches, and sprawling grassy prairies. By the way, have you ever smelled a stockyard? We rode by two that bordered the highway for a few miles. Wow, pungent! I tried holding my breath, but gave it up when I noticed my pedaling efficiency deteriorate rapidly.

There's no way we could have done this without SAGMan, as we have had numerous roadside stops for food and water out of the van along the way. The little towns are just too far apart to rely on. So, SAGMan is earning his keep. And he's also created some classic moments. The other day, as I was finishing cleaning up after the ride, Lance and Pops were charged with finding some dinner options. When I walked into the room, Lance was on his iPhone scanning Trip Advisor for restaurants, but Pops had pulled an old phone book out and was letting his fingers do the walking through the yellow pages. "4th Street Northwest? Well that's way over on the other side of town." I didn't think they even published yellow pages anymore, but hey, nothing's more useful than a 5 year phone book.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1224622833
https://www.relive.cc/view/1224622833

1 very long and very straight highway traveled.
8 flat tires between us.
87,482 cattle at that burger farm, unless I missed one or two.

Hotel: Days Inn, 2 of 5 stars (apparently everything is not really bigger in TX).
Restaurant: XIT Woodfire Grill, 5 of 5 stars (Great food with great cowboy theme).

1 comment: